As an alternative approach, hypnosis is gaining credibility as an effective way to manage low self-esteem and low confidence.
A Real Problem
It’s tempting to disregard the whole subject and notion of self-esteem and confidence. Seeking treatment for something so “trivial” may seem silly. But in actuality, low self-esteem and lack of confidence can greatly inhibit your life. For example:
* Lack of confidence puts self-doubt and fear in charge, and those can paralyze you in your efforts toward success.
* People with low self-esteem may end up in destructive relationships, thinking they are not worth anyone who treats them well.
* Without confidence, business ventures may not even be tried and financial success remains elusive.
* Low confidence can greatly inhibit the development of your talents and abilities.
* For some people, lack of self-confidence and self-esteem go so far as to produce feelings of depression and even suicide.
As you can see, low self-esteem and lack of confidence are not just modern psycho-babble. People who struggle with these issues often need help. So can hypnosis do the trick?
What Is Hypnosis?
Many of us have antiquated images of hypnosis that involve swinging watches and hypnotized people doing humiliating things, such as believing they’re a chicken. But hypnosis – or hypnotherapy – is different.
Modern hypnotherapy is more about empowerment than deception. When you undergo hypnotherapy, you learn to enter into a state of deep relaxation (which is a helpful skill in and of itself!). The hypnosis practitioner or therapist then taps into your inner mind and uses the power of suggestion to help rewire negative brain patterns to create healthier ones.
Hypnotherapists may use guided imagery, taking you through an imaginary scenario step by step, giving you suggestions and approaches to face the problems presented. Hypnotherapy may help in the following areas:
* Assertiveness, a trait often lacking in those with low confidence, may be enhanced by the suggestive power of hypnosis.
* A positive attitude to help you cope with everyday life
* Facing and overcoming any underlying causes or emotions that may contribute to your low self-esteem
* Developing visions and goals for your life
* Confidence in your abilities may be enhanced by hypnotherapy
* Learning positive self-talk
What may make hypnosis so successful is that it can reach those areas of the mind that you simply can’t seem to access. It is a technique that bypasses the “walls” you may have put up to keep people from tapping into the real you, and addresses your core self.